MyNicolet  |  Blackboard  |  Directory  |  Email  |  LibraryContact



What are Grants?

Grants are a form of financial assistance that do not have to be repaid. (For exceptions please see R2T4 Policy)

Pell Grant

The Pell Grant is a federally-funded grant awarded to students with high financial need and may be combined with other forms of assistance in order to meet a student’s need. Eligibility for the Pell Grant is determined by the Department of Education based on the Expected Family Contribution (EFC). It is only awarded to undergraduate students who have not earned a bachelor's or professional degree. Students are limited to six full years (12 semesters/600%) of Pell Grant eligibility during their lifetime. If a student attends full time and receives all of the Pell Grant for the year, they will have used 100% of their Pell eligibility for the year. Pell amounts will be pro-rated for part-time enrollment. Students who have already use 600% of their Pell Lifetime Eligibility Used (LEU) will no longer be eligible to receive a Pell Grant. There are no exceptions to this regulation. Students with 500-600% LEU status may have limited Pell eligibility for the current year.

To view your Pell Grant LEU log into

Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (FSEOG)

The Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant is a federally-funded grant available on a limited basis to students who demonstrate high financial need, low expected family contribution (EFC), and are Pell Grant recipients. There is a limited amount of funding for the FSEOG.

Federal Veterans Educational Programs

Veterans, spouses, and dependents that are eligible to receive veterans’ benefits should contact their local County Service Officer or online at to apply for their educational benefits. Once the veteran, spouse or dependent of the veteran receives their Certificate of Eligibility, they should provide Nicolet’s Financial Aid Office with a copy of their DD 214 (veteran), Certificate of Eligibility (veteran, spouse, or dependent), and a copy of their semester course schedule to initiate their monthly educational benefits.

Fund for Wisconsin Scholars Grant (FFWS)

The Fund for Wisconsin Scholars Grant is for full-time Wisconsin resident undergraduate students who graduated from a Wisconsin public high school after June of 2008. Selection criteria are established by the donor, but students must be Pell Grant recipients and have remaining unmet need in order to be eligible. Students may continue to receive the FFWS for up to 10 consecutive semesters. Eligibility is maintained if adequate academic progress is made, and degree completion is expected. The Wisconsin Higher Educational Aids Board (HEAB) will randomly identify recipients from a list of eligible students provided by Nicolet College. Maximum grant is $1,800 per year.

Fund for Wisconsin Scholars Stipend

The Fund for Wisconsin Scholars Stipend provides additional funds to Nicolet College for the purpose of providing FFWS stipends to certain institution selected students. Only students that are not receiving and have not received a FFWS Grant can be awarded this grant. The amount will be determined by the Nicolet College Financial Aid Office based on the allocation given by FFWS.

Wisconsin State Programs

Academic Excellence Scholarship

Academic Excellence Scholarships are awarded to Wisconsin high school seniors who have the highest grade point average in each public and private high school throughout the State of Wisconsin. The number of scholarships each high school is eligible for is based on total student enrollment. In order to receive a scholarship, a student must be enrolled on a full-time basis by September 30th of the academic year following the academic year in which he or she was designated as a scholar, at a participating University of Wisconsin, Wisconsin Technical College, or independent institution in the State. The value of the scholarship is $2,250 per year, to be applied towards tuition. Half of the scholarship is funded by the State, while the other half is matched by the institution. Eligibility must not exceed eight semesters.

Talent Incentive Program (TIP) Grant

The Talent Incentive Program Grant provides grant assistance to the most financially needy and educationally disadvantaged Wisconsin resident students attending colleges and universities in the State of Wisconsin. First-time freshmen students are nominated for the TIP Grant by the school financial aid offices or by counselors of the Wisconsin Educational Opportunity Programs. Awards are based on financial need and cannot exceed ten semesters.

Technical Excellence Scholarship (TES)

Technical Excellence Scholarships are awarded by the State of Wisconsin to Wisconsin high school seniors who have the highest demonstrated level of proficiency in technical education subjects. The scholarships are only for use at a school within the Wisconsin Technical College System (WTCS). The value of the scholarship is up to $2,250 per year to be applied toward tuition. Students wishing to be considered for TES need to meet eligibility criteria set by the Wisconsin Higher Educational Aids Board (HEAB) and will need to be nominated by their school.

Wisconsin Grant (WHEG)

The Wisconsin Grant program provides grant assistance to undergraduate Wisconsin residents enrolled at least half-time in degree or certificate programs at University of Wisconsin, Wisconsin Technical College System, or Tribal institutions. Awards are based on financial need. Eligibility cannot exceed ten semesters.

Indian Student Assistance Grant

Awards under this program are made to Wisconsin residents who are at least 25% Native American and are undergraduate or graduate students enrolled in degree or certificate programs at University of Wisconsin, Wisconsin Technical Colleges, independent colleges and universities, tribal colleges, or proprietary institutions based in Wisconsin. Awards are based on financial need with a limit of ten semesters of eligibility.

Minority Undergraduate Retention Grant

Awards under this program are made to Wisconsin resident minority undergraduates, excluding first year students, enrolled at least half-time in independent, tribal, or Wisconsin Technical College Institutions. According to the statutes, a minority student is defined as a student who is either an African American; American Indian; Hispanic; or Southeast Asian from Laos, Cambodia, or Vietnam admitted to the U.S. after December 31, 1975. Awards are based on financial need, with a limit of eight semesters or twelve quarters.

Hearing and Visually Handicapped Student Grant

The Handicapped Student Grant program was established to provide funding for undergraduate Wisconsin residents, enrolled at in-state or eligible out-of-state public or independent institutions that show financial need and have a severe or profound hearing or visual impairment. Students are eligible to receive the grant for up to ten semesters.

Wisconsin Nursing Student Loan Program

Provides loans to Wisconsin resident undergraduate or graduate students who are enrolled at least half time at an eligible in-stare institution that prepares them to be licensed as nurses, either RN or LPN. Students who participate in the program must agree to be employed as a licensed nurse in Wisconsin. For each of the first two years the student works as a nurse or nurse educator and meets the eligibility criteria, 25% of the loan is forgiven.